Outer Journey
I enjoyed the architecture tour and the tour through the first cemetery, I thought it was really interesting. I thought this tour was hard to hear with the walking and such a big group. But I feel like I still learned a lot on it. I find it interesting that they have to keep the graves above ground because of flooding and that there may be more than one family member in each tomb. I really enjoyed the pharmacy tour and is so far my favorite tour. I thought the guide had a lot of good information, was easy to listen to, and was funny. I couldn’t believe all the things they used to use in medicine and how far we’ve come. The sizes of syringes, made out of lead, and how they weren’t able to clean them between uses. The use of opium in the 1800’s and early 1900s was unbelievable to me and that it was easy access and used as what we now use as ibuprofen. He said that it was mixed with alcohol to drink was considered Laudanum and was cheaper than getting a drink at the “bar” so there were many that would drink this instead. Heroin soon came out and used where it got its name because it made people feel “heroic”. I really enjoyed Frenchman Street too with all the music and art! It was a different atmosphere and crowd of people, but it was fun to see. We went to CafĂ© DeGrille and listened to a band that played rage music and could tell that they all enjoyed playing together and were easy going.
Inner Journey
I really feel like this is a close community that are so proud of their city. Everyone that I’ve come in contact with that is from New Orleans knows about the history and wants to tell you about it. They are all very informational and want you to enjoy their city! The tour guides we have come in contact with seem to be they are very factual and enjoy doing their job. We walked so much today, it was a great way to see the city but oh my! Back at the hotel now and I cannot believe how tired, exhausted, and sore I am! I took ibuprofen so I can hopefully handle tomorrow and doing it all over again. We tracked how much we walked today and I was at 11 miles. I feel like my brain isn’t even functioning right now that I need to get some sleep and finish tomorrow.






No comments:
Post a Comment