Outer Journey
Today was an easy going day but we learned a lot and it was really enjoyable! We began with the Ursuline Convent and Cathedral. I learned that the Ursuline Convent is one of the two original French buildings in the French quarter, the rest are Spanish. The great fires wiped out the original buildings, the story that the Ursuline Convent was not affected by the fires is because the nuns put a statue of Virgin Mary in a window and prayed to God which caused the winds to blow in a different direction. I found the clock that was gift given to the Covnent to be very interesting that it went with the Nuns to Galva during a hurricane. The nuns had tied themselves to groups of children to take care, unfortunately no one survived. The clock had washed up to shore and restored which still works today. At the Cathedral I was very surprised to learn that members were buried in the floors and the last member was 3 months ago. Another thing I found to be interesting was that there were fossils in the floor with clams. We also went to the French market, where we stopped in BBKings for an appetizer and listen to live music. It is Brynna and Rachels birthdays so the band pulled them on stage and sang Southern Style Happy Birthday to them – with the cow bell and tambourine. Of course Brynna got the cow bell… “More Cow Bell!” This was my favorite part of the day! We later went on a cuisine tour which was interesting. We tried beef brisket Po Boy, red beans and rice, “party in your mouth” dip, seafood gumbo, praline, shrimp remoulade, and turtle soup. My favorite was the Po Boy and my least favorite was turtle soup. Many of the restaurants were busy getting ready for dinner parties for the start of Mardis Gras so it was neat to see how it important Mardis Gras is to New Orleans and all the history behind it. At the restaurant Antoine’s there are rooms dedicate to the King and Queen. I was surprised with how many dining rooms are in these restaurants, Antoine’s and Arnaud’s, and found it interesting that they can be used for private dinners. Another fact that I learned about was about the backyards were the quarters and people slept on the balconies which were called "galleries" because it had the best airflow. There were Romeo or bachelor poles that had spikes on them so no-one could climb up them.
Inner Journey
I really enjoyed learning about all the work the members of the convent and cathedral have done throughout history. I couldn’t imagine losing everything in the fires and having to start over. I feel as if their faith in God has saved them in so many ways and find that inspiring. They had saved the Ursuline Convent from what they believed was an answer from their prayers and were able to help others start over. It was really touching to learn about how the nuns sacrificed themselves for others. Religion is really important and a way of life here and brings people together. The story about a family that comes from Michigan to baptize every member at the Cathedral because ancestors were baptized there was really moving. I just find New Orleans to be a really special place and community that they take such pride in and with helping each other. It’s a special way and place to bring all members together as one. Learning about the galleries or ‘balconies” made me appreciate being able to sleep in fresh air in a nice bed. I couldn’t imagine the smells being so awful and no air movement to sleep in so it’s better to sleep out on your balcony to smell the flowers in your quarter. The cuisine tour was a good way to try the different types of food and the cultural spice. I wasn’t a huge fan with a lot of the food but I got to try it and figure that out! My favorite was the PoBoy but did find the horseradish sauce to be a little spicy. This City is so historical they can even find history, stories, and meaning to the food they eat






No comments:
Post a Comment